I’m sure most of you have heard about vision boards, the idea was made hugely popular when The Secret was first released. However, it’s a concept that’s been around for ages. A vision board is a powerful visualization tool that is used to activate the law of attraction. Before I go into detail about vision boards, why you should make one, and how to start, I think it’s important to really understand what the Law of Attraction is all about.
What is the Law of Attraction?
The law of attraction is the belief that “like attracts like.” It says that by either focusing on positive or negative thoughts, you will in turn bring about positive or negative results. Simply, think good thoughts, good things will happen. A huge aspect of the law of attraction is the power of visualization. People use this technique ALL the time. Athletes use it before a big game, they’ll visualize themselves defeating the competition. The goal is to really see yourself at the finish line, picture what life is like WHEN you complete your goal, not if. “If” implies negativity. The law of attraction is a powerful way to manifest the changes you want in your life.
What is a vision board?
Vision boards are fun to make! Usually they are a collage of some sort where you cut out images and phrases from magazines and paste them to a poster board. You’ll cut out images that inspire you, images that represent the places you want your life to go, the changes you want to make. The whole idea around this concept is that surrounding yourself with positive images will attract more positivity.
Why you should use a vision board to attract business.
If you act as if you are already as successful as you’d like to be, you will be successful. The law of attraction is truly more powerful than you can imagine. Here’s an example of how I used this simple law for my own business.
When I first started my small jewelry designing business I was making a sale here and there but wanted more. I knew that if I really believed the business would be successful, it would be! At the beginning whenever I made a sale I would go out an buy a jewelry box to package my rings, one by one. After a few weeks I looked into ordering them online to save money. I had the option to buy something like 20 boxes or 300 at a time. I bought the pack of 300. Once my big box of jewelry boxes arrived I opened it and immediately thought I would never in a million years sell enough jewelry to use all these boxes.
But then I remembered the law of attraction. If I wanted good things to happen for my business I had to think positive. I took out a simple post it note and wrote on it “I will use all 300 boxes by this October.” I stuck the post it on the box and looked at it everyday. Soon after, sales picked up dramatically. The more I sold, the more positive I became, the more I believed this would actually work. Long story short, I had to order a new 300 pack box before October.
The little post it note was my first version of a vision board. I wrote down what I wanted to happen, looked at it every day and really believed that one day it would happen.
How to make your own vision board.
1. First, figure out what your intention is. Make sure it’s a positive intention that benefits you personally and spiritually, not just monetarily. Maybe your goal is to one day be able to quit the job you hate, make a living creating art, and be able to spend more time with your children.
2. Next, you’ll want to cut out images and words from magazines or print them off the computer. Make a big stack of pictures and phrases that inspire you. There are a few different types of images you can collect:
- Ones that visually depict the outcome you’re after. If you want to be able to spend more time with your kids, find a picture of a woman playing with her kids in the park, or sitting at the dinner table. Visualizing yourself in that woman’s shoes, spending time with her children, is the perfect image to put on your board.
- Images that bring about a positive feeling, rather than a literal depiction. You can put pictures of people who look happy and fulfilled. Just having a positive image on your board will do a world of good.
Make sure all your words and pictures are positive. Don’t include anything that gives you any self doubt or negative feelings.
3. After you find all your images, arrange them on your poster board and glue them down. The most important part of creating a vision board is strategically placing it in a location you’ll be sure to see it. Hang it on a wall by your bed, sit it on top of your dresser. Make sure you look at it everyday and remind yourself of the positive experiences that will come into your life.
In order for the law of attraction to work, you really have to believe. If you have any doubt in yourself or in the process it’s not going to work. Just remember that like attracts like. If you want your business to grow and prosper, live like it already has. See yourself at the finish line and you’ll get there.